Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Get in the Ring


I've alway wanted to be a yoga girl. So gorgeous and serene with their long limbs and bendy bodies. Believe me, I've tried. I can never seem to stick with it, though. Instead, what I have found really speaks to me…is kickboxing. I've been training for almost a year now and I still get as giddy as a kid on Christmas when I nail a roundhouse kick or add height to my jump kick. I find I am never more fully present than when I am concentrating on my jabs and crosses, and never more pumped than when I pound an uppercut through the pad. 
It also helps that I work out at a women's kickboxing gym. We are all friends. No one wears Lulu Lemon. No one wears make up. We get sweaty, we laugh, we egg each other on, and we high five after a particularly grueling workout. 
And while I've never had to exercise my skills in a dangerous situation, I'm hoping muscle memory kicks in. And kicks the crap out of whomever chose the wrong person to mess with. 
I do get in the ring, though. 
Every day. 
Every day that I choose the life that makes me happy. 
Every day that I write. 
Every day that I show up to work out, whether I feel like it or not. 
The point is to show up. 
At the gym. 
In life. 
This is my zen. 
I'll never be a hapa goddess…but I'll settle for a happy warrior. 
- XO,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment