Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Good Man

This morning, I found out some terrible news. A former colleague of mine passed away suddenly. He was 43. It just doesn't sound right, does it? But I suppose it never does. Death's finality has a way of cutting through everything else, forcing you to confront the fact that our lives are finite, our days with family and friends and colleagues won't last forever.
My colleague was a good man in the truest sense of that statement. Decent, kind, compassionate, hardworking. We worked together at ABC News and I felt relieved every time I heard Michael Scott was managing that day or night. I knew that we would be in good hands. He was always ready with helpful suggestions, always the first to volunteer to grab a much needed piece of video or track down a soundbite we needed for our stories. We'd often share chuckles over the phone about the dysfunction of our industry and I always felt better after hanging up with him.
I once went on a shoot with him and we chatted the entire cab ride to the location. He was a boxer and he told me about his training. His quiet demeanor belied his incredible intelligence and depth of knowledge. I'm sorry I did not get to know him better.
His passing has prompted me to think about how in our society the simple man often gets short shrift. We are urged to do big things, get our name in the marquee or in the credits, "be" somebody. These days, young people see others become famous for the most banal of reasons: being on a reality show, getting repeatedly drunk on television, or worse yet, for making a tape of their intimate activities.
The truth is, what actually makes you great is showing up. Doing the work. Being authentic. Establishing trust. Helping others. Being the kind of man or woman others can rely on and count as a friend.
THIS is what matters. Nothing else.
Fame fades, you're only as good as your last big story/role/project. Money is just money. That fancy car will be outdated in a few years. And looks? Those don't last.
Character, integrity, compassion - these are the things that last long after we are gone. The people we help will remember. The colleagues we worked alongside in the trenches will appreciate it. The children we love and nurture will thrive.
Michael Scott was one of these good people. He was a hell of a nice guy. And he will be missed.
- XO, D

2 comments: